Friday, September 11, 2009

Thunderstorm (雷雨)

Recently, in my basics of acting class, we got a chance to practice a great play from China during the 30th century, "雷雨-Thunderstorm". It is a play by the Chinese dramatist, 曹禺(Cao Yu). It is undoubtedly the most popular dramatic Chinese work of the period prior to the Japanese invasion of China in 1937.

I love this play so much because it is all about
the complex relationship between the members of two households - one upper class and wealthy, the other low class and poor. Specifically, the plot of "雷雨-Thuderstorm" centers on one family's psychological and physical destruction as a result of incest, as perpetrated at the hands of its morally depraved and corrupt patriarch, Zhou Puyuan. Although, the script is in Malay Language but the it still remain the "ummp" of Chinese ancient culture.

I just found that this script was been filmed before in Hong Kong during 1957. Surprisingly, I found that the role that I plays in "
雷雨-Thuderstorm", (周衝-Chou Chong) was act by Bruce Lee in the film version. Ha! Ha! Ha! ~(proud that got this role)~

Here I attached as well a scene from the film version of
"雷雨-Thuderstorm"... Enjoy!


No comments: